For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with an Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.
When engine temperature reaches a predetermined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained; however, the rear cylinder will become an "air pump" which will work to cool the engine.
EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met:
- Engine temperature is greater than 287°F domestic 165°C international
- Twist grip opening is at idle
- Vehicle speed under 1 mph 2 km/h Engine speed under 1200 RPM
EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:
- Engine temperature falls below 275°F domestic 135°C international
- Twist grip opening is greater than idle
- Vehicle speed exceeds 2 mph 3 km/h Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
- Clutch is released with vehicle in gear
When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.
Enabled: The EITMS engine cooling feature will automatically activate whenever the vehicle comes to a complete stop and is idling during elevated temperature conditions. Even with the feature enabled, it may not activate under cool riding conditions.
Disabled: The EITMS feature is not active under any conditions.
Vehicles are delivered from the factory with EITMS disabled. EITMS can be enabled or disabled by the rider by performing the following procedure.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push the engine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position (do not start the motorcycle).
- Push the throttle to rolloff position and hold.
- See Instrument Lamps. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).
NOTE: A flashing lamp indicates the EITMS setting. A solid (nonflashing) lamp indicates the cruise control setting.
- Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS.
NOTE: The EITMS setting will remain in effect until it is changed by the rider or dealer. It does not have to be reconfigured at each startup.